Members at Large -
The Rotary Club of Yucca Valley has worked tirelessly to address community needs.
It was the Yucca Valley Rotary Club that started the Boys and Girls club, It was Yucca Valley Rotary that started the BMX Track, it was your Rotary club that was the driving force behind the formation of Copper Mountain College. We provided toys, furniture, murals and entertainment to children take from their homes, through no fault of their own, by Child Protective Services.
We are the organizers and sponsors of the annual Miss Yucca Valley Scholarship Pagaent.
We support TLC, Special Olympics, the Braille institute, scholarships, the Boys & Girls Club and special events. Chances are that if it making a difference in your community, your Rotary Club is involved.
The yearly 4th of July celebration which allows thousands of local residents to recognize, respect, and celebrate the principals of democracy that this country stands for...Rotary....
Y.V. Rotary… Making a difference in your community...
4-Way Test Speech Contest - started by George Derrington…HERE, at our club and now international!
Youth Musical competition, part of local, regional and US competition
Partnered with other area clubs to start Copper Mountain College
Rotarians Roger Duran and Roy Greenleaf began the Boys and Girls Club
President Projects included:
YV. BMX track - Rotarian Gary Daigneault
Rotarian Sandy Garvin - Triangle Park restoration/partnered with City, sold bricks to pay for the restoration.
Teddy Westfall - CPS Childs room makeover
Annual Fireworks show - Gary and Wendy Hann
Miss Y.V Pageant - Saved when Chamber gave it up
“Shoes that Fit” - Bicycle rally - started by our own Art Ehrenberg and continues today,
YVHS Band uniforms - Steve Willman
Firefighters appreciation Dinner, started by Gary Daigneault
Toys for Tots Motorcycle run, Gary Daigneault
Miracle League Field - Shannon Luckino/Cindy Melland
Softball Field scoreboard, Gary Daigneault.
Ongoing support.. Making differences in lives
Pioneer Pass event
Boys and Girls Club
RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Academy)
Relay for Life
Grubstake Day Community Fair
The Rotary Club of Yucca Valley Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 200 Yucca Valley, CA 92286
CA Corp #C2348206 Fed Tax #912143586 Rotary District 5330
As Rotary grew, its mission expanded beyond serving club members’ professional and social interests. Rotarians began pooling their resources and contributing their talents to help serve communities in need. The organization's dedication to this ideal is best expressed in its motto: Service Above Self.
By July 1925, Rotary had grown to more than 2,000 clubs and an estimated 108,000 members. The organization's distinguished reputation attracted presidents, prime ministers, and a host of other luminaries to its ranks - among them author Thomas Mann, diplomat Carlos P. Romulo, humanitarian Albert Schweitzer, and composer Jean Sibelius.
The Four-Way Test
In 1932, Rotarian Herbert J. Taylor created The Four-Way Test, a code of ethics adopted by Rotary 11 years later. The test, which has been translated into more than 100 languages, asks the following questions:
Of the things we think, say or do
Is it the TRUTH?
Is it FAIR to all concerned?
Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Rotary and World War II
During World War II, many clubs were forced to disband, while others stepped up their service efforts to provide emergency relief to victims of the war. In 1942, looking ahead to the postwar era, Rotarians called for a conference to promote international educational and cultural exchanges. This event inspired the founding of UNESCO.
In 1945, 49 Rotary club members served in 29 delegations to the UN Charter Conference. Rotary still actively participates in UN conferences by sending observers to major meetings and covering the United Nations in its publications.
"Few there are who do not recognize the good work which is done by Rotary clubs throughout the free world," former Prime Minister Winston Churchill of Great Britain once declared.
Dawn of a new century
As it approached the 21st century, Rotary worked to meet society’s changing needs, expanding its service efforts to address such pressing issues as environmental degradation, illiteracy, world hunger, and children at risk.
In 1989, the organization voted to admit women into clubs worldwide. Today, women are an integral part of Rotary's membership.
After the collapse of the Berlin Wall and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Rotary clubs were formed or re-established throughout Central and Eastern Europe. The first Russian Rotary club was chartered in 1990, and the organization underwent a growth spurt for the next several years.
More than a century after Paul Harris and his colleagues chartered the club that eventually led to Rotary International, Rotarians continue to take pride in their history. In honor of that first club, Rotarians have preserved its original meeting place, Room 711 in Chicago’s Unity Building, by re-creating the office as it existed in 1905. For several years, the Paul Harris 711 Club maintained the room as a shrine for visiting Rotarians. In 1989, when the building was scheduled to be demolished, the club carefully dismantled the office and salvaged the interior, including doors and radiators. In 1993, the RI Board of Directors set aside a permanent home for the restored Room 711 on the 16th floor of RI World Headquarters in nearby Evanston.
Today, 1.2 million Rotarians belong to over 32,000 Rotary clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas.
The first four Rotarians: (from left) Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, Hiram Shorey, and Paul P. Harris Courtesy of Rotary Images
History of Rotary's Contribution to the Fist Phase of Copper Mountain College
For many years College of the Desert (COD) in Palm Desert conducted classes in the Morongo Basin wherever they could find space, be it a church, school classroom, Marine Corp Base building, etc. This led to Kay Violet of Yucca Valley and Ada Hatch of 29 Palms sponsoring the idea that a local campus was in order. These two ladies started the ball rolling by making a quilt that was eventually raffled off, thus raising the first funds for what would become known as Copper Mountain College.
Rotary's involvement started in the mid-'80's when Chris Frazer presented the idea of Rotary's major support to a meeting of the directors of the three Basin Clubs, that being 29 Palms, Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley. The joint clubs made a commitment of $50,000 which launched the basin-wide drive to raise the first $1.3 million to build the first phase of the College.
Rotarians started a series of weekly bingo games that proved that funds could be raised. The Yucca Club also contributed a program of "Send Your Land to College", which was the solicitation of real estate as a tax deductible donation, then the resale of the donated properties. (An interesting aside is the fact that Mel Benson, whom I consider The Father of Copper Mountain College, acquired the first real estate donation, that being a 50 acre parcel in Pioneertown that was then sold for $50,000.)
These programs were very successful and Rotary immediately increased their commitment to $100,000, and the rest is history. Some random points that should not go unnoticed are the facts that with the exception of the paving of Rotary Way, ALL funds for the first phase of the College were built with the funds that were raised by the collective efforts of the
Basin residents. In the matter of the paving funds, Representative Jerry Lewis acquired the funds from San Bernardino County, and the road was renamed as ROTARY WAY.
History of Rotary International
The world's first service club, the Rotary Club of Chicago, was formed on 23 February 1905 by Paul P. Harris, an attorney who wished to capture in a professional club the same friendly spirit he had felt in the small towns of his youth. The Rotary name derived from the early practice of rotating meetings among members' offices.
Rotary's popularity spread, and within a decade, clubs were chartered from San Francisco to New York to Winnipeg, Canada. By 1921, Rotary clubs had been formed on six continents. The organization adopted the Rotary International name a year later.
50 year highlights
Click to view
P.O. Box 200 Yucca Valley, CA 92286